Aims and Objectives
The wider objective of the project is to:
- Reinforce and modernize libraries and improve the level of competencies and skills of library staff in HEI’s by developing innovative libraries as a support to education and lifelong learning
- Develop a library staff development strategy focused on improving standards and quality of library performance in WB countries so as to improve the quality of library services and higher education generally, enhancing their relevance for the labour market and society.
- Enhance the management, governance, innovation capacities and accessibility of libraries in WB countries through strategic planning and policy development
- Establish and maintain a Western Balkan Library Network Support Services (LNSS) Network for the future dissemination, sustainability and exploitation of project results both nationally and in the WB for the sharing of knowledge, experience, training and expertise in the Region.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Implement English for Specific Purposes (Libraries and library terminology) training for all target groups.
- Undertake in depth training needs detection and assessment with competency mapping
- Implement an innovative Train the Trainers program as part of an LNSS Curriculum incorporating a suite of quality, relevant and modern library staff development modules addressing the most urgent training needs of 21st century librarians and library staff in the Information Age
- Develop and implement Information Literacy and Research Skills training programs in libraries to help learners identify, locate, evaluate, and effectively and ethically use information in their daily lives for lifelong learning and the Knowledge Economy
- Carry out Library Training Seminars and Workshops involving all Stakeholders for exchange of experience to improve the competencies & skills of Librarians
- Develop a Consortium Strategic Plan for the effective future development of libraries in WB countries -for each partner organization in the project
- To implement the Consortium Strategic Plan during the lifetime of the project to ensure sustainability of project results
- Conduct a needs analysis regarding Electronic Library Services and develop and implement a Digital and Electronic Strategy for the enhancement of Electronic Library services
- Explore the development and introduction of innovative library services –particularly online services
- Develop initiatives to ensure access to and democratization of libraries for people with disabilities
- To create a printed handbook of HR materials with the results of the training and the
Library standardized processes
- Develop a Framework for a Library Collection Development Policy to meet the needs of academic staff and students in each Institute/University in the project.
By means of the LNSS Curriculum and Training LNSS will address critical problems gaps that exist both in Library service provision and in Library Staff Development leading to modern, relevant and accessible library services for all learners. Problems such as the lack of any "formal education for librarians at the HEI system level (UOM 2014); the urgent need for training of staff on Library Research skills "(UP 2014) 2014); poor knowledge and skills with regard to digital and electronic libraries; "poor access to use of the library capacity" (SVE 3014), "poor library equipment". LNSS address these problems through- a comprehensive, modern suite of Library Staff Development courses covering all aspects of library service provision. The LNSS Curriculum will lead to a change in the situation set out in Part E because in breath, scale, quality and relevance it will be the first program of its kind held in these countries to address the training and development needs of ALL Librarians and library Staff- a program which is very much needed in PC countries.